We award bursaries of up to £5,000 a year for UK university students, who are in financial need, and have a parent or spouse or are employed themselves, as a commercial traveller, pharmacist or grocer.
How much can you apply for?
The most that you can apply for is £5,000 a year. However, the amount that you receive depends on your financial need and the total amount of funding we have available to distribute each year.
What can you use a postgraduate grant for?
You can use the grant for any reasonable costs connected with going to university, including tuition fees, accommodation costs, living expenses, or equipment to help you study.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply, you need to be:
- a resident of the United Kingdom;
- studying for a full-time postgraduate degree at a recognised UK university;
- the child, spouse, widow, widower or personally employed as a commercial traveller, pharmacist or grocer, and;
- in ‘financial need’.
Before applying, you should check that you are eligible by reading our detailed guidance on eligibility.
Are bursaries paid directly to applicants?
No – if your application is successful, your university will receive the bursary on your behalf, and pass the money on to you.
You can apply for a bursary for each year of your degree course. Unfortunately, we can’t offer grants for previous years of study that you have already completed
Do you need to re-apply each year?
In general, we expect to continue awarding you a grant for as long as your postgraduate degree continues, provided that:
- You continue to study full-time, at the same university and on the same course
- Your university confirms that your academic performance is satisfactory each year
- You progress on to the next year of your course when expected
- There is no significant change in your financial situation
Your university is responsible for sending us this information in a yearly report.
Making an application
To apply, you need to fill in the online application form.
The deadline for applications is 1 October.