Who can apply?

Students who are in financial need, are resident in the UK and the son/daughter, spouse, widow/widower of a commercial traveller, pharmacist or grocer.

What do you mean by ‘commercial traveller’?

A commercial traveller is the representative, agent or principal of any manufacturer, industrial or commercial firm or company, or wholesale dealers selling to industry or commerce, but not direct to the public; who works in the UK and has travelled for five consecutive years and for a total of at least six months in each of those years, for the purposes of securing orders and/or promoting business.

What do you mean by ‘pharmacist’?

A pharmacist is someone who is registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council, who sells or dispenses medicines directly to the public. We also accept pharmacy technicians who prepare and dispense prescriptions under the supervision of a pharmacist and are also registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council.

What do you mean by ‘grocer’?

A grocer is someone who owns or works in a small independent retail store that sells a wide range of both food supplies and non-edible articles for household use. Typically known as a corner shop or convenience store. Greengrocers and those who own or work for the major retailers (including the main supermarket chains) are not covered by this definition, and are not eligible to apply.

How much can I apply for?

We award undergraduate bursaries of up to £3,000 a year and postgraduate bursaries of up to £5,000 a year.

What can I use the money for?

Funds for tuition and examination fees, travel costs, study materials, accommodation, childcare costs, etc.